- Visit the Museum of Discovery (MOD) – for all the science-buffs out there! MOD offers a range of installation exhibitions that are sure to have the young and old fascinated. Visit their big spinning globe, cell invaders exhibition or get hands on with their installation, ‘Wodliworngatti’.
- Visit the South Australian Museum – visit the world’s largest collection of Australian Aboriginal cultural material or join in their ‘Wonders’ exhibition where you can see items never before put on public display.
- Visit one of the Adelaide Observatory’s public viewing nights – gaze up at the stars and come and experience astronomy with local experts.
- Experience the magic of The Fairy Garden at Bridgewater – after a 1km walk each-way, you’ll come to a hidden fairy garden just near the bridge. Perfect for the little ones (as long as they enjoy a walk!).
- Head to the Haighs Chocolate Factory for a free tour – after being closed for much of last year due to COVID, the tours are back! Booking are essential though. We also encourage all care workers to ensure that healthy eating choices are adhered to for children and young people if you decide to attend.
- Check out the Big Rocking Horse – located at Gumeracha, winter is a great time to visit this towering horse, it’s also a great place for a play
- Who doesn’t love the St Kilda Adventure Playground? A favourite for kids since the 80s, this playground also provides the opportunity to cook up a BBQ or bring your own picnic. Open every day except Mondays.
- Visit Carrick Hill for the Story Book Trail – designed to let children explore and discover nature, the trail sends kids on a journey through Wind in the Willows, The Hobbut and Quidditch Tree to name a few. A cafe is also available onsite when you need a rest after all that exploring.
- Learn about our maritime history at the Migration Museum – children and young people will love the interactive displays and with a number of special discovery trails on at the moment (animate yourself, discover the stories behind my face and more)
July school holiday ideas
The July school holidays will run from Monday 5 July to Friday 16 July. To help keep children and young people entertained, please check out our activity list below.