From 1 July 2019, the Australian Government is implementing a new single set of aged care standards called the Aged Care Quality Standards.
The new Aged Care Quality Standards have been developed to help consumers better understand their aged care services and to encourage innovation and continuous improvement for aged care providers. The new Standards will come into effect 1 July 2019.
The new Aged Care Quality Standards, will replace the current:
- Accreditation Standards
- Home Care Standards
- National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Flexible Aged Care Program Quality Framework Standards, and,
- Transition Care Standards.
The Aged Care Quality Standards focus on quality outcomes for consumers and reflect the level of care and services the community can expect from organisations that provide Commonwealth subsidised aged care services.
The new Quality Standards are made up of eight individual standards. These, plus the key consumer outcomes attached to each Standard are listed below:
- Consumer dignity and choice - 'I am treated with dignity and respect, and can maintain my identity. I can make informed choices about my care and services, and live the life I choose.'
- Ongoing assessment and planning with consumers - 'I am a partner in ongoing assessment and planning that helps me get the care and services I need for my health and well-being.'
- Personal care and clinical care - 'I get personal care, clinical care, or both personal care and clinical care, that is safe and right for me.'
- Services and supports for daily living - 'I get the services and supports for daily living that are important for my health and well-being and that enable me to do the things I want to do.'
- Organisation’s service environment - 'I feel I belong and I am safe and comfortable in the organisation's service environment.'
- Feedback and complaints - 'I feel safe and am encouraged and supported to give feedback and make complaints. I am engaged in processes to address my feedback and complaints, and appropriate action is taken.'
- Human resources - 'I get quality care and services when I need them from people who are knowledgeable, capable and caring.'
- Organisational governance - 'I am confident the organisation is well run. I can partner in improving the delivery of services.'
We ask all team members providing services to our older clients to please view the guide to the new Aged Care Quality Standards. To access this document please click here.