The BetterHealth Channel put together an article on how dancing can benefit our physical and mental health and the tips to get the most out of the exercise.
Listed by BetterHealth as some of the health benefits of dancing included:
- Improved heart and lung condition
- Increased aerobic fitness
- Better coordination, agility and flexibility
- Improved mental functioning
- Greater self-confidence and self-esteem
- Better social skills
Taking up dancing can be done in a social group, in a class or individually and the range of dances for people to take up as a hobby are varied, including ballet, ballroom, jazz or salsa.
Before undertaking any dancing, BetterHealth suggests to consider a number of factors to ensure it is done safely and enjoyably for each individual.
These tips include:
- Warm up before dancing
- Drink plenty of water
- See a doctor for a check-up if you suffer a medical condition
- Take rests throughout the dancing as needed
- Check with an instructor that your form is correct
- Wear the correct shoes
- Don’t push yourself into it
To read more about how dancing can have a positive impact on our health, click here.
Please remember: the advice in this article is of a general nature. Please ensure that you speak with your GP or allied health professional before commencing any new exercise or fitness regime